Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

2012 Outlook & Goals

It’s the off season at the moment.  I am enjoying a reduced training load & not really thinking about any upcoming races that seem so far away.

I am thinking about the coming year, trying to set some goals that are both realistic, and a stretch/challenge to make.

The biggest race/highlight for 2012 is undoubtedly my first full ironman – Lake Placid in July.  I don’t want to focus too much on the numbers, like a specific bike FTP or run split time.  My main focus is going to be on the following:-

  • consistency – try to execute the training sessions I have planned, even through my busy work travel schedule
  • stay injury free – continue to self-monitor to ensure I don’t have any unplanned down time because I pushed too hard when I should have rested of sought medical attention (training smart, not just hard)
  • contend for podium for local races.  In 2011 I got close, with a roll down 2nd place at the Luray Spring (really 4th – but 2 of the 3 ahead of me placed in the masters division), and 4th at the Beach 2 Battleship race.  This year I would like to finish in the top 3 in my AG without any roll downs at the Kinetic and Luray sprint races.

My schedule for 2012 is currently :-

  • January – local 5k, test out my new run speed in a race
    • complete: 18:50, 2nd AG, PR by 22seconds details to follow soon
  • March – local 5k, fun race with the kids
  • May – Kinetic sprint, smash last years 1:30:04 time
  • June – Reston open water swim, perhaps 2 mile this year
  • June – EagleMan 70.3 – goal, sub 5:00
  • July – Ironman Lake Placid – goal 10:45 (ambitious goal)
  • Post Lake Placid, not really sure; possibly:- 
    • August – Luray Sprint  or possibly an XTERRA race
    • September – Nations’ triathlon (Olympic distance) 
    • October/November – perhaps a 1/2 or full marathon

I am following the Endurance Nation out season plan at the moment.  This plan has an emphasis on intervals, short workouts (6hrs/week) with the goal of increasing power on the bike and speed on the run.  I have made significant improvements already since starting in November.   My last bike test was an FTP of 268, up from 256.    My last 5k run time trial (solo at the track) was 19:12 a huge PR by almost a minute and my first time under 20 minutes.  I also managed to back this up 2 weeks later with an 18:50 5k race January 8th.

I am really looking forward to a strong year in 2012, hope you all are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment