Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

My New Bike–a first look

Today was a great day.  I ran for the first time in almost 2 weeks, 30 minutes at better than 8 minutes per mile, that felt really great, no pain at all. 

What felt even better was going to pick up my new Triathlon bike – a Trek Speed Concept 7.0.

IMG_1662

the quality of the photo is not great – because it is dark and I used my phone.  I’ll take some better pictures this weekend.  I can’t wait to take it out for a spin on Sunday.

I went into the fitting process liking both the Trek, and a Felt B14/B16.  After a couple of hours of fitting and testing both the Trek and Felt, I decided to go ahead with the Trek.  I really liked the look, black was my preferred color.  I also liked the feel of the brakes and the gear changing mechanism on the Trek better too.  The other advantage are all of the integrated components, like the draft box for spare tubes/tools etc. and the duotrap speed/cadence sensor that when installed fits flush with the frame.

I haven’t finished yet, still have to install the speedfil for hydration – but so far not a single zip tie!  I am also wondering if the shop installed the top tube box backwards.  A quick look at the trek website seems to indicate that it is. 

I spent a total of 3.5 hrs at the bike shop making my selection and getting fitted.  It feels great, but the fitting process is still not complete.  I will ride it as is for the next few weeks, and get used to the aero position.  After that we’ll probably steepen the seat angle and lower the front to get into the best position possible.  At that time the new pedals should be in too (speedplay X/2). 

No comments:

Post a Comment